Tailoring Your Resume
Recruiters/ Talent Acquisitions scan through almost hundreds of resumes in a day to search of the perfect candidate for the right job role.
On an average, they spend about 6 seconds scanning one resume. Hence, how do job seekers’ capture the recruiters’ attention, thinking that you are a great match for the job that they are hiring? Recruiters are looking for relevant job skills and experience and their job posting will be your best source of information. In this case, you will need to tailor your resume to the job description and present to the recruiters to what they are looking for.
Here are some steps that can help you get started in tailoring your resume for any job posting:
- Mind the job description for skills.
- Look for the essential job-related skills that are required for the job role. They should be highlighted at the top of your resume.
- Check the skills that you can translate from one job to another. These skills aren’t crucial, but recruiters like to see them. Add these skills to relevant places in your experience section.
- Find the adaptive skills – these are usually adjectives like “ambitious” and “detail-oriented.” Use these skills to describe yourself in your resume objective and throughout your application.
- Add numbers (eg: years of experience/ rating) and details to attract the hiring manager’s attention to your skills and showcase results.
- Tailor your cover letter as well – remember to add the keyword skills from the job description to explain why you are suitable for the role.
- Check your tailored resume, by dropping it into a cloud generator to see the most prominent words – these should be skills or keywords.
By investing your time to tailor your resume according to the job description is a smart move that will boost your chances of impressing recruiters and landing more job interviews. Have a look at this infographic to learn how to tailor your resume to any job posting.